According to the Human Fertilization and Embryology Authority HFEA, every one in five pregnancies through a medical process like IVF can result in multiple births, with a higher possibility of twins. Concurrently, couples opting for fertility treatment are also inclined to have twins as it incurs the same cost as having a single child. Though it is rare for a couple to insist on having twins, it is observed that a lot of them hope to have two or multiple births at our IVF centre in Dombivli.
Why Are Couples Undergoing IVF More Inclined To Have Twins?
As compared to the 5% chance of having twin babies through natural pregnancy, ART treatments like IVF have a staggering 25% chance of having multiple births. This is primarily due to the IVF's medical process of implanting multiple embryos in the female’s uterus. In a normal pregnancy, the ovaries rarely produce more than one egg for fertilization.
However, before you jump to conclusions, it is essential to talk to an IVF specialist to learn about the process, possibilities, and complications associated with having Identical twins through assisted reproduction technology (ART) treatments like IVF.
What Factors Affect The Chances Of Having Twins Through IVF?
When consulting our IVF specialist in Dombivli, many patients bring up different ‘ twin babies’ related questions to know their chances of having one. And the most common factors that affect these factors include:
- Family History : A couple with blood-related family members with twins have shown a higher possibility of having twins.
- Body Structure : It has been observed that women who are healthy, slightly overweight, or tall body structure have a greater chance of conceiving twins.
- Age : To our surprise, studies have shown that older women close to 40 years had twins more often than relatively younger women undergoing IVF treatment.
Are The Risks Factors Associated With Twin Pregnancies Through IVF?
Experts at our IVF hospital in Dombivli and around Mumbai will never suggest twins pregnancies to couples randomly. The pregnancy period after IVF is similar to that of any natural pregnancy. However, with twins or multiple pregnancies, the following medical risks of having twins persist:
- Preterm Birth : Twins have a higher probability of being born prematurely or preterm, which can have different consequences.
- Lower Birth Weight : Twins have been observed to have a lower birth weight than single babies, which makes them prone to weaker growth.
- Congenital Defects : Congenital disabilities like cerebral palsy are more likely to occur in prematurely born kids, a common case with identical twins.
- Infant Death : Twins were found to be five times more like to die in a month of birth than single-born babies.
- Other Risks : Twin births can have various adverse effects on the mother, such as preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, and excess bleeding before or after delivery.
Whether you seek IVF treatment in Dombivli, Kalyan, Badlapur, Ambernath, or anywhere in Mumbai, the risks of twin pregnancies can only be mitigated by an experienced IVF specialist. Dr. Chinmay Pataki and Dr. Manik Kale are two of the most renowned IVF specialists in Navi Mumbai who strive to make Akruti IVF the safest IVF centre in Dombivli for multiple pregnancies. To know more about our ART methodologies, reach out to us.