Ovulation induction is a procedure done for regularising ovulation. It is done in case of following:
- Anovulation (irregular or no ovulation), where ovulation does not occur due to failure of egg to mature or failure of release of egg by follicle due to hormonal imbalance.
- To get multiple eggs, as it develops multiple follicles when used medicines in high dose
What are the benefits of ovulation induction?
It is cost effective, so always done before going for any other treatment plans.
Successful ovulation induction improves chances of natural pregnancy in 25% patients.
Ovulation induction, in single attempt, gives multiple eggs required for procedures like IUI & IVF. This improves success rate.
Improves the quality of eggs for formation of good quality embryos, resulting in healthy babies.
Ovulation induction helps in PCOS patients for successful ovulation which is not happening naturally.
What are the methods used for ovulation induction?
Ovulation induction is done using one or more of the following ways. If the first method does not work, doctors try second and so on.
- Tablets like Clomiphene citrate or aromatase inhibitor drugs. These cause body to produce more Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
- Injections of FSH LH hormones directly, If body is not able to produce FSH.
- Injections of Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) hormone for follicle rupture.
- Combination of tablet & injections of hormones
How the treatment of ovulation Induction is carried out & what is the time required?
Ovulation study is done with transvaginal ultrasonography. Progressive sonography tells the response of drugs used and dose variation is done accordingly.
When follicle reaches at around 18-20 mm in diameter, the next course of action is decided base on treatment planned:
- For natural conception, rupture injection is planned.
- For IVF, oocyte pick up is done within 34-36 hours
- For IUI procedure, semen insemination is done after 36 hours.
One cycle of ovulation study requires 4-5 visits in one month.
Why rupture is planned with injection?
Rupture planning with HCG injection gives exact time of rupture so planning of natural intercourse is done & around 25% patients conceive naturally.
Planning of IUI is done as per the exact timing of rupture due to injection time plan
IVF has to be done with injection HCG as pick up is planned before follicles rupture naturally.
Are there any side effects of in ovulation induction?
Drugs used in ovulation induction can give minor side effects such as bloating, nausea, weight gain, headache, hot flushes, loss of appetite
One of the side effects like OHSS - Ovarian HyperStimulation Syndrome where ovaries swell and become painful, occur when drug dosage is higher than what body can tolerate.
But not to worry, at Akruti IVF Center, after doing more than 5000 IVFs, the doctors have become pretty experienced to give just the right dose to the patient.
Treatment is planned properly to avoid such complications.